Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Vin Scully Legend.

Thanks to the Yankees playing a day game I am watching the Dodgers and Padres. Not a fan of either club, but man oh man I am a fan of Vin Scully. Vin has been the voice of the Dodgers for 61 years. Yes 61 years. The impressive thing's about Scully are that he does all the announcing,no annoying Joe Morgan style sidekick. He also has so many nuggets of information about each player,not just stats, but stories of past games stories of small town heroes. Tonight John Lindsey was in the on deck circle waiting to take his 1st ever major league at bat,Vin tells the viewers the story of the 16 year minor league vetrean, the Padres call for a pitching change and when we return from the ad break the Dodgers have put Either in to bat instead of Lindsey. Scully seems genuinely upset that Lindsey is not going to get his bat,this is what makes Vin Scully great, it's not me,me,me, it's all about the players. Unlike Joe Morgan-alikes there is no "this is what I do" or "when I played" rubbish. Vin Scully is the last great announcer and we should revere him and treasure him because he won't be around forever. Oh well tomorrow it's back to Michael Kay. Yay.

1 comment:

  1. Amen.

    As a life-long Dodger fan, I've been blessed to hear Vinny call games. I'm glad you got an opportunity to listen to him as well. Every baseball fan, or sport fan for that matter, should listen to him call a game if they can. He's a treasure. Thank god he will be back in the booth calling Dodger games in 2011.

    ReplyDelete